Thursday, July 11, 2013

Camp & Hospital Trip

Well, this session of summer camp is almost over! I can't even explain how happy I will be tomorrow to take down the cacti and cowboys that have decorated my room for the past 5 weeks. The next theme is "Africa Safari," and I couldn't be more excited!

I went to see one of my campers in the hospital today! She looked so little, laying on the bed hooked up to a big mask... she had an infection caused by strep (of all things) and has been in the hospital for almost 2 weeks now.

Funny stories, though... as I parked my car in the parking garage and went into the elevator to get into the actual hospital, I hit the button "P2" because I was told to go to the second floor... and a little girl in the elevator with her mom had to explain to me that that button led to "Parking Level 2," not the second floor of the hospital. Oops!

I eventually got into the hospital and tried to go straight for the elevator, until I was stopped by a security officer who told me I needed a visitor's badge. I went to the desk, showed my ID, and then got my badge. I hopped on the elevator, hit the right button this time, and got to the correct floor.

Walking down the hallway, I was sure of where I was going... until I got to where I thought I needed to be, and there were doctors and nurses all over the place, chatting and (I assume they were clocking out) on a computer. I walked back down the hallway, found the nicest-looking nurse, and said, "I've never been there before and I have absolutely no idea where I'm going!" She kindly led me to the right room (which was right beyond where all of the doctors and nurses were!) and I stood at the door and peeked in. A lady in a gown walked up and said, "Can I help you?" I replied, "I'm here to see (child's name)!" She stared me down and said, "I'm her mom..."

And then I had the divine realization that I had never met her mom before!

Duh! 

It was much less awkward after that. The child was sleeping, but I was able to give her mom all of the things the other campers had made for her. After I said goodbye, I made it out of the hospital without any more mishaps (besides being locked on the floor I was visiting... nothing unusual). I'm super glad that I got to go see her... even though she was sleeping the whole time, she briefly opened her eyes when I greeted her, and it was so great to see her beautiful eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment